Saturday, October 1, 2016

Foxes in Limbo


Thought I'd share with you a new composition for my next picture book called, "The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night".  I have been working on this book for a while now and have just returned to it now that I have Clover and the Shooting Star launched. 


This artwork is done in a style that my friend and colleague MJ-K calls "in limbo".  In other words it is silhouetted or without a background, just a white ground.  I have been told that my artwork is stronger when I work this way, so I thought I'd give it a try with this piece.  What do you think?


This is just a color study for a finished painting that will be much larger.  In addition to the color study I also do a value study as you can see below.  The value study actually comes first and then the color study, but I wanted to put the color study at the top because it i more eye catching:)

  


I like the fun rhythm that the little foxes bring to the piece.  There are 10 little foxes so I have to be careful to draw each one anytime the text of the story refers to them.  I know that when I read to my children we would always take the time to count the characters any time the text referenced the number of them, so for all the future moms who may read my book, I have to give them something to count!  What do you think of this piece of art?  Do you like the "in limbo"?  Have I placed the foxes in a way that invites counting?  Any suggestions for improvement before I go ahead and lay it out to paint it?  Post your thoughts in the comments section below.  And thanks for your help!






No comments:

Post a Comment