Tuesday, September 24, 2013

More Character Studies

This semester I am stretching myself and focusing on development of memorable characters.  This is not an area that I have a lot of experience in, but one I want to get better at, especially since I would like to do children's picture book illustration!  I am taking a class this semester at AAU with an instructor whose work I love!  We have only had two weeks of class but we are already developing full characters.  I am really trying to think about making the characters I draw memorable, lively and relatable to my readers.  This week we were asked to create a character with different "costumes".  I interpreted this a little more literally and put my character in "costumes" similar to the boy in the wolf costume in Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are".


So I chose the character Tiger Lilly from the story of Peter Pan.  She is the Native American that Captain Hook is always stealing and tying up for Peter to come rescue:)  Tiger Lilly is a spunky, spry character that I imagined would be full of ideas of how to get away.  So I drew her in her native costume and gave her a sweetness.  Then I dressed her as a pirate, thinking, since the pirates keep stealing her maybe she would dress up as a pirate to get away.  I gave her attitude as a pirate since she would need that to hang with Hook's men.  Lastly, I drew her dressed as a fortune teller where she could use her fortune telling powers to mesmerize Hook and make her escape!  Below are the drawings.  Let me know what you think!





No comments:

Post a Comment