Friday, December 25, 2015

Jack's Christmas Present

I wanted to share with you a wonderful opportunity I had to get to know a little boy by the name of Jack.  Jack is the sweetest little boy whose grandfather discovered me at the Cornhill Arts Festival this summer.  He told me that Jack loves his swing as much as the boy in my book "The Swing".  He asked if I could paint a picture of Jack in his swing in a similar fashion to the artwork in the book.  I thought it would be fun!   




I had Jack's grandfather send me all kinds of pictures of Jack so I could make some sketches. Although I have never met Jack, his personality shined through in the pictures, so I really felt like I got to know him.  He has this impish little grin that I really wanted to capture in the final painting.  I created a final sketch with a few color studies for his grandpa's approval, then I created the final art in oil on illustration board.  Below you can see the finished piece and the work in progress with a several photo references of Jack and the color studies. 




The painting was intended as a Christmas present so I finished and mailed it out in early December.  I hope Jack has a wonderful time opening his present and discovering himself in the painting:)

Merry Christmas Jack!
Merry Christmas Everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment