Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Clover and the Shooting Star


This is a special picture book that I have been working on and it's almost ready for the press.  I have one spread left to finish and then I will send it to the printer.  It is a board book format, so it's shorter than a normal picture book and I did all the art fairly quickly so it would have a fresh expressive quality.  Instead of finishing it in photoshop and laying in the text professionally, I decided to collage the text directly onto the pages.  It was important to me that it kept the handmade quality of the original because the whole project was done in love.  It is called Clover and the Shooting Star and it is dedicated to my niece Nicole Diane Miller-Harris who left us too soon.  I am giving it to her parents, my bother-in-law and sister-in-law, for them to read to their grandchildren as a way to remember Aunt Nicole.  

Above is the cover art with Clover the rabbit in the middle and his friends Raccoon  Mole, Porcupine and Possum and her babies.  The synopsis of the story is that Cover sees a beautiful shooting star and it touches his heart.  He wants everyone to have had the same wonderful experience.  But as he talks with his friends he can't find anyone else who saw the star that had moved through the sky so quickly.  It makes Clover sad.  Then wise old owl informs Clover that there others have seen the star and are carrying the hope of her brilliance on!  

Below are a few of the finished pages from the book.  The last page is the "big reveal" page and the tear jerker page, so I won't show you that one till it's published:)







I thought this book would be a nice way to help little ones deal with the loss of a special person.  The ending is hopeful and let's them know their loved one is not forgotten and will live on in a very special way.  While it came from a place of sadness in our family, my hope is that it brings healing and hope to many.

I plan to have this book available by the beginning of the year so I can share it with you at my art shows and openings.  Let me know what you think.  Would you like me to send one to you?  Or you can pick one up at my next art show!  You can let me know in the comments section:) 


7 comments:

  1. How wonderful. I met you at Nicole's celebration of life. I am Val's cousin Suzanne. I would like to give one to my great nephew. Let me know how to reach you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied on e-mail and now looking at this I'm thinking you didn't receive it:( I'm sorry. You can reach me by e-mail at heather_harris@me.com. I should have the book ready soon! Hopefully by the start of the new year!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing to do for this family!! I am Alison Billroth-MacLurg, a friend of Amber and Dave Harris, and would love a copy as well. I am also an artist and scientist that has thought about putting together a book for kids on the immune system, would love to chat with you about the experience if you are up for it. Please let me know the best way to reach you. Amber and Dave also have my contact information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison! I would love to discuss your project further, it sounds like it could be really fun! I sent you an e-mail a bit ago but I am thinking it didn't get through so let me give you my e-mail address and we can communicate that way. heather_harris@me.com. I look forward to it:)

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this in print Pr. Harris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to get one! Nicole and I got really close we went to treatment together and I've never had a friend like her even though I moved back to Oregon every time we talked it was like I never left! She changed my life and I would love to get one to remember her by ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Destiny! It would be my pleasure to get a book to you! I am hoping for the beginning of the new year. I'll be in touch to let you know:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete