Wednesday, June 4, 2014

SCBWI




It's official!  I joined SCBWI!  SCBWI is the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators and it is the largest professional organization dedicated to production of children's literature and illustration.  I knew of SCBWI before this semester, and even ordered a video of an interview with Tomie dePaola done by SCBWI.  And then, this semester my professor spoke so highly of SCBWI that I decided I was crazy not to join.  And I am so glad that I did!!!!  It is a great place to get connected as an illustrator and although I have not fully digested all the resources available, I have found several I really like.

One opportunity that interests me is the Tomi dePaola Illustrator award.
The Tomie dePaola Illustrator Award is given annually to an illustrator of promise chosen by Tomie himself. The award consists full tuition, transportation and accommodations to the New York Winter Conference held in Manhattan. The winning piece of art will be featured at the annual winter conference in New York.
Not only is Tomie dePaola one of my favorite illustrators, but the opportunity to do some illustration work, and have Tomie himself review it, is irresistible:)

So for now I am a new member just beginning to discover the possibilities of a career in children's picture book illustration and excited to share my news with you:)  I'll keep you updated with what I discover and learn and opportunities that I may take advantage of.  Stay tuned…...





1 comment: