Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Den Full of Foxes




This week I returned to a project that I have shared with you before.  It's my Fox Went Out On A Chilly Night picture book project that is part of my thesis project at the Academy of Art University.  I want to add another three paintings to this project by Mothers day!  I'll post my progress so you can hold me to my deadline:)  I find a deadline always helps me and accountability to others as well, so it's up to you to keep me on track!





You can see here the beginning of my work on this painting.  In the top picture you can see my storyboard on the bottom of the pile of papers.  These are my original thoughts on what should be on each page.  Then you can see some of the photo references I used to create the painting I am working on.  This painting is the last page of the book where all the fox, his wife and all their kits are fast asleep in their den as winter snows cover the land.  I use prima color markers to do a value study thinking about the previous paintings I have done and my focal point.  Sometimes the prisma color markers don't have the right values that I am looking for and her is a case in point.  I wanted the tree to be the darkest value, but this value study it is a little too dark, so in my color study I adjusted the value as you can see below.  

I felt that the too dark tree against the light background brought your eye away from the subject of the foxes, so I lighten the tree and put more emphasis on the foxes by playing with cool versus warm colors to bring your eye to the focal point.  I think it reads better now, what are your thoughts?  Let me know in the comments below:)


Tschuss


 

No comments:

Post a Comment