Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wrong Handed Portraits

Another drawing lab has you draw portraits with your non-dominant hand.  This exercise is to loosen you up and allow for unconscious drawing of what you see without trying for perfection.  I decided to do my three children.  I discovered a few things that were really interesting....  Now first I have to tell you that I just spent a year studying the portrait and trying to capture likeness.  It's hard to unlearn those things so when I was using my non-dominant hand of course I tried to "obey the rules" I had learned.  But I found that I couldn't keep to those rules because my left hand is just not that controllable:)

What I did find though was that this was a lot of fun!  I used a brush marker which allowed me for some variation in line (which my left hand doesn't achieve as well as my right).  I also looked at the person 70% of the time so they are kind of blind contour drawings as well.

I also discovered that to people who know my kids they could identify them based on their eyes!  Eyes is where we look the most when we look at people, so get the eyes right and your half way there to likeness.

The last thing I discovered is that this is a great way to develop characters.  Simply because you capture the essence of the person and not all the details.  I will definitely be using it in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment